— Matthew Innman Found of Oatmeal
Tina Roth Eisenberg (@swissmiss), creator of design blog SwissMiss, temporary tattoo site Tattly.com, and Creative Mornings, inspired the SXSW crowd to follow their passions on the side in order to reach success and fulfillment
She came from a small town in Switzerland to New York to Austin to present to an audience larger than her hometown.
Tina’s 11 Rules To Live By
1. Invest your life in what you love
2. Embrace enthusiasm - “no one looks stupid when they’re having fun” - Amy Poehler
3. If you find yourself complaining, you either do something about it or let it go (Tina saw her daughter’s shitty temporary tattoos and decided to create Tattly)
4. Trust and empower your team
5. Experience > Money
6. Surround yourself with likeminded people - Studiomates has a camaraderie where everyone is surfing the same wave
7. Collaborate - launched Tuexdeux based off a convo about To Do apps
8. Ignore haters - haters gonna hate. “There are people who build things and people who tear them down. Just remember which side you’re on.” - Sharon Lee
9. Make time to think and breathe - “wonderful things can happen when your brain is empty”
10. If an opportunity scares you, take it.
11. Be someone’s eccentric aunt
“Whatever you are, be a good one.” - Abe Lincoln